Mill Energy

Energy Surveys, Energy Performance Certificates,
Landlord Services, Floor Plans, Risk Assessments and Inventories

Landlord Services

If you are the landlord of a residential or commercial property then you should be aware of the requirement to comply with all relevant legislation and to have the property inspected at regular intervals to ensure that it does. There are severe penalties for not doing so or not being able to provide the relevant certificates or reports when required.

Are you aware of all of these requirements that you need to meet?

  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Gas Safety Certification
  • Electrical and Portable Appliance Inspection
  • Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
  • Legionnaires Disease (Legionella) Risk Assessment

We can help you to meet those requirements, stay on the right side of the law and provide the services that your tenants expect. Although we do not handle the inspections for all of these ourselves, we have close contacts with other inspecting companies and surveyors. We can arrange and coordinate all of the required visits so that they happen at the same time, saving you time and the trouble of arranging multiple access to the property.

In addition to these statutory requirements, our Floor Plans will help your property to stand out when being marketed to prospective tenants. We can also arrange Property Inspections and Contents Inventories to protect your property and contents, and help with the transition when tenants move in or out.

Energy Performance Certificate

You are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate when starting any new tenancy of a rental property. This must be in date (less than ten years old). As well as being a legal requirement, a good energy rating will make the property more attractive to prospective tenants (because their energy bills will be lower), so if you have carried out any improvement works such as installing a new central heating boiler then it will be worth obtaining a new EPC.

Gas Safety Certification

You are required to have an annual gas safety inspection carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They will issue a certificate which is valid for one year. Usually this check can be combined with an annual service visit.

Electrical and Portable Appliance Inspection

Although formal certification is not explicitly required by law, you are required to take all reasonable precautions to ensure that any electrical installation is safe to use and meets current standards. You can do this by commissioning an electrical inspection report which will survey the property and will identify any shortcomings or remedial work needed.

If you provide any fixed or portable electrical appliances (that means anything not permanently wired to the mains), then they should be periodically tested for electrical safety (PAT test). If you require this, then an electrical contractor should be able to carry out these tests at the same time as the electrical inspection.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

All residential landlords or letting agents are, from October 2015, required to install smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in the property. These need to be situated and installed in accordance with current Fire Service guidelines.

Legionnaires Disease (Legionella)

Although most residential properties have a low risk, landlords are required to carry out a water supply risk assessment for Legionella bacteria. This involves measuring the temperatures of the hot and cold water supplies, and sending a sample of tap water for a laboratory test. Any potential risks can then be identified and remedial action taken.